French onion soup actual dates back to Roman times. It was thought of the poor mans soup because onions were plentiful and easy to grow.The soup as we know it dates back to 18th century France. This soup really need a good stock because honestly thats where most of the flavor is coming from. It really could be any stock, but chicken or beef is most common.The other big factor here is caramelized onions. If you don’t know this process, know this. Cut the onions even in slices then cook them in butter and olive oil and meduim heat..way to long!! they will start to carmelize this mean they will shrink,turn sweet,deep brown and thick. Very important you do this correctly because a lot of flavor comes from this. Next add a little extra butter,melt then add flour (2 min with a stir) and hit it with some sherry(in KY I use bourbon)This is called deglazing add your stock(they do make some good premade organic chicken ones)Bring it to a boil then simmer and stir for 15 mins,find some good french bread cut one thick round piece and cover. drizzle it with olive oil and rub it with a garlic clove.toast at 350 for 3 mins and add a killer shreded gruyère cheese! Please don’t ask me if you can use another cheese you said you wanted the best soup:) At the shop we put this under a boiler to order and in a soup bowl.for 4 people try 2 large onions/2T butter,2T oil,1T butter and 2T flour for the roux/4 cups stock 4T sherry etc..
Flank steak stir fry with Brown rice
- 1 cup flank steak chopped into cubes
- 1 cup frozen stir fry veg.
- ½ cup cooked Brown rice(read how to cook via the box)
- only if you want to jazz it up add
- 3 tablespoon thin sliced fresh basil(at the end)
- 3 tablespoon chopped garlic(cook with the beef)
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce (at the end)
hummus-you need a food processor(blend all together)
- 2 cup chick pea
- 2 juice of a real lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove
4 eggs (cover with water bring to boil,then cook for 10 mins.)peel and mash
3 tablespoon mayo
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
hard boiled eggs (cover with water bring to boil,then cook for 10 mins.)
baked sweet potatoes..toss in a bowl with salt and pepper/ tablespoon cheap olive oil
cook 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 mins.(till nice and soft)
sweet potato and green chicken curry
- 1 cup diced cook sweet potato
- ½ frozen stir fry veg
- 1 chicken breast diced
- 12 oz canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon canned green curry paste
bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins.. serve
bananas and peanut butter (honey)sandwiches (fyi when your mom comes to town have her buy you some honey:)
homemade mac and cheese
- whole wheat pasta(cook via back of the box)
- ½ cup butter cook, then add
- ½ cup flour mix then add
- 2 cups milk heat for 5 mins then add
- 2 cups yellow sharp shredded cheddar
whisk and cook for 6 mins.
Add to 1 ½ cups pasta
- 2 lb ground(local) beef or deer or bison or sausage
- 16 oz canned tomatoes
- 2 onion chopped-food processer
- 4 garlic cloves-food processer
- 1/4 lb chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can 28 oz kidney bean
- 3 T bitter dark chocolate
- 3 seeded jalapenos minced food processer
- 4 Tablespoons fresh oregano food processer
- topped with
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb sour cream
- sliced Jalapenos
brown off meat with spice and onions, add everything else and simmer for 1 hour
Philly cheese steak
- 1 lb shredded beef-local
- 1/3 cup sliced/onion and green peppers
- 1 tablespoon deglazed with white vinegar
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 4 Philly buns
LOBSTER BISQUE (15-20ish bowls)
- 4 (1 1/2-pound) lobsters
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery, including leaves
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 sprig thyme
- ¼ cup fresh basil choped
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup cream sherry
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Fill large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. There should be enough water to cover lobsters completely when immersed. Or do the Ben Method by killing the lobsters by drowning them in fresh water:)JK.Place live lobsters in boiling water head first to minimize splashing. When water re-boils, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook lobsters. Remove lobsters from the pot using tongs; save all the water in stockpot as this is now a flavorful stock to be re-used.
- Place 10 cups of stock in a clean stockpot and put on low heat. Clean claws and tails of lobsters and reserve meat, legs, and swimmerets. After lobsters are cleaned, place shells in stockpot with 10 cups of stock. Cut bodies in quarters and place in stockpot, making sure to include all roe and tomalley in pot. Add 1 cup tomato paste and simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to have heat so high as to burn stock. Pour entire contents of pot through sieve into clean stockpot; this should now be 8 cups of glorious red stock.
- Place onions, celery, carrots, thyme, basil in a large saute pan, add 4 cups stock from original stock pot and put on high heat for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup tomato paste and black pepper. Turn down heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Press entire contents of saute pan through sieve into stockpot of 8 cups previously made stock.
- To finish Bisque, put pot on medium heat. Add heavy cream slowly, using whisk to blend. Add sherry. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes; bisque will thicken slightly. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and slowly add to bisque with whisk. Simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes.
- If you prefer your bisque to be thicker, you may add more cornstarch, or perhaps, flour, but have found the bisque thickens nicely over low heat, and additional cornstarch or flour takes away from the wonderful flavor.
Smoked Tomato Jam
4 pounds tomatoes
1 cup maple
1 c fresh lime juice
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs kosher salt
in a 200 degree smoker add tomatoes and smoke for a half hour.
peel,seed and dice them. add all the ingredients in a sauce pot
and then bring to a boil then simmer till thick. strain and serve
1 cup tomato concasse
¼ cup maple
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ cup small diced tomato
1 tablespoon salt
Add tomato concasse,maple and corn starch together in a sauce pot.
bring to a boil and reduce for 15 mins.
strain and add diced tomato and serve.
1 cup tomato concasse
2 tablespoon each fresh basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup onion
1 garlic clove
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
combine, refrigerate,serve can go over salad or pasta
1 onion minced
3 garlic clove minced
1 carrot small diced
cook in a sauce pot till tender
add 3 pounds tomato concasse
cook for 30 mins.
then add 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil,thyme,oregano. 2 tablspoon salt, strain.
2 cups tomato juice
1 tablespoon chipotle minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon maple
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon salt
reduce the tomato juice by two-thirds in a sauce pan.
add the remaining ingredients and strain.
10 tomatoes concasse peeled,seeded,chopped (minced)
1 onion toasted then minced
3 jalapenos toasted then minced
4 garlic clove toasted then minced
½ cup cilantro chopped
3 limes juiced
3 tablespoon salt
to toast jalapenos,garlic, and onion slice them add put in the 350 oven till brown.
- 12 oysters
- 1# of chopped fresh spinach
- 1 onion small diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 red bell pepper small diced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 piece chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- shuck 12 oysters remove oyster and then replace it back into the shell.
- In a satee pan add bacon and sweat onions and peppers with butter , then add garlic and shallots,cook on medium heat for 3 mins.
- Add the flour and spinach cover and cook till reduced in size about 7 mins.
- Then add bourbon,salt and pepper,and lime juice and cream. cool and add the filling to the top of the oysters in the shell.
- bake at 350 for 15 mins.
- then add hollandaise sauce and serve.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 whole piece canned chipota
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 fresh juice of lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh chives
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Heat the heat to medium,Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- stir in the bay leaf, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, cloves, and cinnamon until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and ½ the chicken stock, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, stir in the chocolate chips until melted, Reduce heat to medium-low, cover.
- in a blender add all nuts,seeds and herbs and half the chicken stock,lime jucie.Stir in the raisins, and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.
- 2 pounds ground beef (80/20.local or organic meat if budget allows)
- 2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoon cumin ground
- 12 oz PBR beer
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 tablespoons chipotle(blend in a mixer)
Garnish with Jalapenos and sharp cheddar cheese on top of the chili at the end…
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced pickled jalapenos
- 5 pound bag cheddar cheese shredded (cut this 1st if money is tight)
- cook onions and garlic in large stockpot for 2 mins. then add chili powder
and cumin and toast for 1 min then add beef and beer ,. Cook and stir and over medium heat until beef is brown. Drain.
- Stir in salt, oregano, tomatoes, and everything else. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes; stir
NOTE please add 1 can PINTO and NAVY beans for the veg chili